Does your minor child have earned income?

If you answered “Yes” then you can open, or contribute to, a Custodial IRA.  The contribution and earnings limits are the same as those for a Traditional or Roth IRA. And, yes, we do this.  For most minors this amount will be lesser of $5,500 or their Modified Adjusted Gross Income.